Monday, August 31, 2009

The Magic Trick

Earlier this evening, I was watching AFV (America’s Funniest Home Videos). It reminded me of something that happened many years ago that I wish (with every fiber of my being) that I had managed to catch on film.

My youngest was about 5 or 6 years old. She came into the kitchen, where her father and I were sitting at the table, having a cup of tea. She was all excited because she had a magic trick to show us.


After placing a crayon on the table, she covered it with a paper towel. She closed her eyes, waved her makeshift wand (a pencil) over it with some dramatic flair, and said “Abracadaba!”


She lifted the paper towel, but the crayon was still there. So she did it again, covering the crayon, closing her eyes, waving her wand, and saying “Abracadabara.” The result was the same. Never one to give up, she tried once more, but this time, when she closed her eyes, I quickly lifted the corner and palmed the crayon.


She opened her eyes and lifted the paper towel. Immediately she began to jump up and down screaming.


“I did it! I did it! I did it!”


“Wow! That’s great!” I said. “Can you make it come back now?”

She stopped jumping up and down, and looking completely stricken, she replied, “I don’t know! I didn’t practice that!”

No comments:

Post a Comment