Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Weather, The Bike, The Good Intentions...

I am more than just a little miffed at the weather. I know we need the rain, but when I actually make the effort to get more exercise and I really want to ride my bike, an evening of rain and cold, followed by an evening of more cold, simply spoil my multitasking plans.

Monday is choir night, and I have discovered I can trek the 6 to 8 miles between home and the church (depending on the route I take) in less than 40 minutes. This is ideal for a number of reasons.


1) I get in a quick burst of exercise, then I sing my lungs out.


2) I don’t waste too much time riding the bike because it only takes marginally longer to get there on two wheels.


3) Psychologically speaking, I have a destination…it’s not simply heading out to take a joy ride.


I’ve never been an exercise buff, so riding for the sake of riding isn’t something that comes naturally. Riding with a destination is your basic two birds, one stone scenario…a no-brainer for an inveterate multitasker.


By the time practice is over, it’s too dark to ride home, so I schedule a pick-up in the old mini-van. This arrangement is even more convenient because heading home is mostly up hill, and it has been many, many months since I’ve been in the saddle. Last Monday was my first trek out this season and resulted in two numb hands and various other parts not accustomed to the “abuse” of a long ride. But I will get used to it soon enough.


Here’s hoping next Monday’s weather is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment