Sunday, July 11, 2010

On the road again...

Here I am, sitting in my hotel room in East Ridge, TN. I am on my annual solo road trip to the Chattanooga area to attend Liberty Con 23, a Sci-Fi convention that features authors, artists, gamers, filkers and more. Some of my friends and co-workers think I’m a bit on the crazy side for attending something like this, but as conventions go, Liberty Con, which I’ve been attending for years, it one of the most laid-back gatherings around. The attendees are friendly and personable, and the authors, artists and musicians are wonderfully warm and willing to meet with and talk to most everyone. There are panels of the various “celebrities” who impart their writing wisdom; sometimes there are instructional classes as well. There are events running from Friday until Sunday at 2:00. I even scored some free books that will go onto the library shelf at work on Tuesday, when I return to the real world. I have made many friends at Liberty Con over the years, and it’s always a pleasure and an interesting experience to come back again.

The trip down was a 10 and ½ hour drive, mostly due to torrential rainstorms in Kentucky and Northern Tennessee and the resulting accidents. The rain was so bad at times that I actually pulled off the freeway twice and used the time to fill my tank or to get something to eat while I waited for the torrents to subside. Here’s hoping the return trip is less eventful!

2 comments:

  1. I lived in Tennessee when I was quite young. First in Norris, and later in Knoxville. I haven't been back since my maternal grandmother's funeral, but I always remember Tennessee as beautiful - and very hot in the summer! And it always seems to be summer when I think of living in Tennessee. I can't even remember what it was like in winter. Isn't that strange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in Ohio's snow belt, my most memorable weather memories from my youth are all winter horror stories. I've only been to Tennessee in the summer, and it is always hot. My friends who reside there year round seem to have summer horror stories, I'm assuming because the winters are mild, rather like Ohio in the fall! We tend to vividly remember only the extremes!

    ReplyDelete