Friday, November 22, 2013

50 Years Later, Everything Changed, Nothing Changed

I was 11 years old when President John F. Kennedy was shot and killed in Dallas.  I remember being in my 6th grade classroom at Assumption School in Geneva when our teacher came in and told us all to get on our knees and pray.  When the President died anyway, I remember wondering if God really hears our prayers and if prayers do any good at all.  It seemed the whole country was on its knees, yet it made no difference to the outcome.

I keep seeing posts and hearing interviews with those who remember that day, and I'm amazed by those who can't believe it's been 50 years.  I don't feel that way at all.  I feel like it was a lifetime ago.  A lot of good and a lot of bad things have happened in the lifetime since the nation's hopes were dashed by that bullet. But in the end, things haven't really changed.  It's all a matter of perspective, and what was true then, is still true now...sad, but true.

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future."  President John F. Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment