Saturday, May 12, 2012

Politics, the bedroom, and democracy...

I know everyone won’t agree with me, but I think politicians on both sides of the fence need to stay the hell out of the bedrooms of American citizens. Quite frankly, it’s none of their business what consenting adults do behind closed doors. This country is suffering a nasty economy, with too much war, not enough jobs, high prices, lack of medical care, needy children, needy seniors and general instability. Elected officials are supposed to work together for the betterment of this nation; that is their job. Telling me who I can or cannot sleep with or who I can or cannot marry is not included in that job description.

I am tired of the sniping, accusations, in-fighting, and mud-slinging. Stop, already. You officials were elected to work for us, not against us. Stop trying to legislate every aspect of our personal lives and get on with the important stuff. Our founding fathers put forth a constitution meant to protect the citizens of this great country and ensure our freedoms. I am positive the signers of the constitution are looking down on the body of the Congress, the Senate, and the members of both parties with anger and disgust as personal greed and the quest for power taint every single thing that happens in Washington.

Although I am a registered Democrat, I have never voted the party line in ignorance. I follow the candidates and vote for the person I feel is most qualified and has shown that he or she has our interests at heart, rather than his or her own. For example, I voted for George Herbert Walker Bush. I thought he was an excellent president. I did not vote for George W. Bush, who I personally thought was ill suited to represent our country on a global stage. I did not, however, send scathing, derogatory e-mails or make nasty hate-mongering posts about him. Do you know why? Because personal feelings aside, he was the President of the United States. Liking him or not liking him really didn’t matter. He was the President, and by virtue of the office, deserved the respect of the citizens of the United States, myself included.

President Obama deserves the same respect, whether you voted for him or not; whether you agree with him or not, whether you like him or not. For better or for worse, he is our President, and by virtue of the office deserves our respect. I can’t begin to describe the irritation I feel when I receive nasty e-mails or see posts referring to our President as “presidunce” or other derogatory terms. I don’t pass them on, and I don’t repost them. I didn’t do that with the nasty stuff I received about President Bush either.

What happened to common human decency? Is this the way your parents taught you to act toward authority figures? Spreading hate is not the way for this country to turn itself around. Treating everyone with respect doesn’t make you a sheep. If you disagree with the politics, you are free to cast your vote. That is the basis of democracy. We need get back to it and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment