Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday the 15th

I started to write a blog on Friday the 13th, but since nothing untoward happened that day, I changed my mind. As a matter of fact, Friday was quite a good day. It was beautifully sunny with blue skies and few clouds. I went to lunch with two wonderful friends and had a lovely time. I came home and made a tasty spinach-garlic fettuccini salad and then we drove to Chardon for a family gathering of cousins. (I have to give a shout out to my cousin Betsy for hosting the shindig.)
 
For those wondering about the recovery process, there are a few updates. The post-op check-up went well. I saw the x-rays and it is quite amazing how far down the femur the titanium implant goes! The ball and socket were tightly seated and everything looked just as it should. I have graduated from the walker to a cane. Although I had no problem making the transition, I find that I am suddenly limping again. This is either nasty habit from before the surgery or an issue of weakness in the hip muscles on the surgical side. Physical therapy should correct any muscle weakness, and I’m working hard not to limp when I walk. I have one more week of in-home PT, then I transition to outpatient therapy…and yes that means I will be driving! One more week of no wheels and then look out!

Of course it is likely that the only places I’ll be driving to are physical therapy and visiting my mother in the rehab center where she is presently recuperating. After five weeks of house confinement, my endurance is a bit low and I find that when I go out I get tired much more easily. This too will end once I am back to normal. My next seven weeks will be concentrated PT, writing, and visiting Mom. Then back to work I go.
 
I hope to have more to write about soon. Recuperation and house confinement really don’t lend themselves to subjects of interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment