Of course, my opinion of some idiot prancing around on stage looking like a Halloween freak and calling himself Alice put him in the same category as Tiny Tim. The music was just not my cup of tea.
So when I attended a charity event and had the opportunity to have my picture taken with “Alice Cooper” I quite naturally jumped at the chance. Anyone who has lasted as long as he has in the business can’t be all bad!
Then I decided I should do a little research on the real “Alice Cooper” since I knew little or nothing about the man himself. I discovered a number of truly interesting facts about this long playing musician.
- His real name is Vincent Damon Furnier. He was born in 1948 in Detroit.
- The band took on the name Alice Cooper in 1968.
- He started performing as a solo Alice Cooper in 1975
- He still pays royalties to the members of the original band for use of the name…enough so that they all live comfortably.
- He had a run of acute alcoholism but has been rehabilitated and sober for years. He mentors and counsels other addicted musicians who need help.
- He’s been married since 1976 to a ballerina instructor and choreographer named Sheryl Goddard with whom he has 3 children.
- He tends to be non-political, but he is a born again Christian.
- Outside of music, Alice Cooper is an actor, an accomplished golfer, a restaurateur, and a radio DJ.
- He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011.
- He hosts an annual charity golf event, the Alice Cooper Celebrity AM Golf Tournament, from which all proceeds go the Solid Rock Foundation, a Christian non-profit organization that helps troubled teens and children. It was formed by Alice Cooper and Chuck Savale in 1995.